Released: August 6, 2015
Platform: Unity (Windows, Mac, Linux)
Ah, colorful 3d platformers. Don’t you just love ’em?
I made the original version of “Spider the Fox” in 30 days, for the 2015 Indie Game Making Contest. After I submitted it, I spent another week making various tweaks before releasing it on GameJolt. It’s a fixed-perspective 3D platformer/collect-a-thon. Don’t worry, though – no Donkey Kong 64 collectibles here. The game is driven by the story. The collectibles are fun and, for the most part, optional.
Here’s my description from the game page:
It’s not looking like it’s going to be a great day for Spider the Fox. It all started when the tree on her parents’ flying island dropped a seed … and now she has to run, jump, climb, and grow her way through a colorful, fantastical world chock-full of quirky characters and scenic vistas.
The goal? It’s time to grow her own flying island.
But, in order to do that, what does she need first?
Seeds. Magical seeds, which seem to be in just about everything in this world. Why does she need all these seeds?
Well, she’s got …
[wait for it]
… some growing up to do.
Did I mention the puns? I’m pretty sure I mentioned the puns.
Downloadable for Windows, Mac, and Linux. XBOX 360 controls recommended, but the keyboard works, too. There’s an in-game tutorial and controls reference, but for full coverage:
- Left Stick/WASD/Arrow keys – Move Spider/Navigate Menus
- A Button/Space Bar – Jump/Disembark Boat
- X Button/E key – Interact/Hop Boat
- Y Button/Left CTRL key – Plant Seed
- B Button/Q key – Cancel Seed Placement
- Left Should Button/Number 1 key – Zoom In
- Right Shoulder Button/Number 2 key – Zoom Out
- Back Button/Tab key – Inventory
- Start Button/Esc key – Pause
Hit me up on Twitter and let me know what you think!